Wednesday 30 September 2015

Mamma's Homemade Chicken Karahi

Although I've been brought up on Indian food I rarely make it. For starters it's not N's favourite but also I never thought I could make it as well as my mum so I never bothered. But every few weeks or so I get a random urge to cook something fragrant and full of spice. Or sometimes I am nudged into it as the case was last week! I had just defrosted a couple of chicken breast fillets with a view to making a casserole or a risotto but that very same morning my mum-in-law dropped round some yummy daal (lentils) that she had made. My two choices were to waste the chicken or cook something that went with daal. I normally make tandoori chicken but I had defrosted breast pieces and was worried it  would taste dry if it was oven cooked. A dish with gravy would be better. I happened to drop my dilemma into conversation with my mum and she gave me the inspiration I needed. The recipe below is hers, although if you ever asked her she would say she never cooks to recipes she just does what works! When I was growing up my mum used to tell me cooking was easy. I never believed her but I think she was right. Anyone can cook....but it helps to have a good teacher. Thank you mum! 

Chicken Karahi 
(Serves 2 | total prep and cooking time 30-40 mins plus marinating time) 


Ingredients 
- 2 chicken breasts (or equivalent thighs) cut into 1-inch pieces
- marinade (2 tbs yoghurt, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, pinch garam masala, 1/2 tsp tumeric, pinch salt)
- 1 small onion - very finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 1-2 inch piece of ginger - finely chopped 
- teaspoon finely chopped chilli (optional) 
- cumin seeds (approx 1 heaped teaspoon) 
- coriander powder (1 teaspoon)
- cumin powder (1 teaspoon) 
- tumeric (1/2 teaspoon) 
- 3 tomatoes - chopped 
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander 
- salt to taste 
- water 

Method 
- mix the marinade in a large bowl and stir in the chicken pieces. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours but overnight is better
- heat a large frying pan and place the chicken and all the marinade in it. Fry it until the marinade dries out and the chicken starts to colour. Set aside 
- heat some oil in a saucepan or sauté pan and add the cumin seeds. Fry until they start to colour
- fry the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli (to make sure they are finely chopped and made into a paste consistency you can do this in a food processor)
- add the dry spices
- add the tomatoes and tomato purée and stir well 
- add the chicken and stir well 
- add coriander, salt and pour in a little bit if water
- cover and cook for 20-30 mins until the chicken is cooked. Add more water if it dries out 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a message about this post or about anything else. I know it's a bit time consuming sometimes but I do love to hear from you!