Sunday 26 October 2014

A Challenge for November

November is a month of challenges. Firstly there’s Movember. What a great challenge and for such a great cause. I’ve been encouraging N to take part for ages but he is surprisingly resistant. Perhaps he’ll read this post and get some motivation! But back to me…

November is NaBloPoMo — National Blog Posting Month —which sets a challenge to post once every day for the entire month of November. No theme, no word count, no rules;  just you, your blog, and 30 new posts. I’ve decided to take on this challenge.  Yes I know it will be a hard push, particularly because I am averaging about one post a month at the  moment and it’s not helped by the fact that it has taken me an hour and a half to update, reboot and generally ‘fix’ my laptop so that I can even write this post - gosh I hate computers sometimes! But if it’s not a challenge then where’s the challenge (if you know what I mean)! So I’m going to do it. And to make sure I don’t wimp out I’ve decided to post for charity. Depending on the number of page views I get per day I will personally donate money to a charity very close to my heart.
As a hospital based optometrist working with children we encounter a number of cases of children with eye cancer. The most common of these is one called retinoblastoma which affects 40-50 newly diagnosed children per year. Sadly if retinoblastoma is detected late it can not only cause the loss of vision but also the loss of an eye and sometimes tragically the loss of a life. However with improved screening an early detection retinoblastoma can often be successfully treated. The Childhood Eye Cancer Trust (CHECT) provides support to families affected by retinoblastoma (Rb), promotes awareness of this rare form of cancer to the public and health professionals and supports research into the disease. For the first 100 page views I receive per day I will donate £1 to charity, for 200, I will give £1.50, for 300, £2, for 500, £3 and for 1000 page views or more I will donate £5 per day to the charity. Please can I ask you to support me in this challenge and help raise money for a worthy cause. Should you wish to you can also donate directly to the charity by going to www.chect.org.uk.

 
So that’s the last you will be hearing from me now till the challenge starts. I look forward to seeing you on 1st November for 30 days of glorious food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a message about this post or about anything else. I know it's a bit time consuming sometimes but I do love to hear from you!